.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • Brunswick County now authorized to accept passport applications

    The Brunswick County Register of Deeds Office is now authorized to accept U.S. passport applications in Brunswick County.

    During September, the office has been authorized by the U.S. Department of State Bureau of Consular Affairs Passport Services, to provide an outreach program within Brunswick County.

    Citizens who wish to apply may do so from 9 a.m. to noon Sept. 3 at Sunset Beach Town Hall and 1-3 p.m. Sept. 3 at Carolina Shores Town Hall.

  • Devaun Park annexation approved in Calabash

    CALABASH—The seafood capital is growing even larger with an annexation approved Tuesday night.

    Commissioners unanimously approved the voluntary annexation of 15 acres of Devaun Park subdivision off Beach Drive and along the Calabash River. They also agreed to the approval of an annexation map and ordinance effective Aug. 13.

    Devaun Park developer Scott Stewart noted the annexation has been a long time coming and that he looked forward to it.

    In other business:

  • Interim fire chief taking helm in Calabash

    CALABASH—Calabash Fire Department has a new interim chief.

    Carl Naecker, a retired fire chief from Maryland who has recently served on the Calabash Fire Department board, officially took the helm Aug. 1.

    “Right now it’s interim, for six months,” Naecker said Monday as he and outgoing chief Karl Bennett convened to go over departmental business at the main fire station on Persimmon Road.

  • Tree ordinance upheld in Carolina Shores

    CAROLINA SHORES—The town recently received a magistrate’s approval to collect a fine for violation of its tree ordinance.

    Town commissioner Gere Dale said the decision followed a small claims judgment in March that found defendant Bill E. Lane in the wrong for violating the town’s tree ordinance.

    According to the complaint, the town’s building inspection department noticed construction activity had occurred at the site, at 9351 Ocean Highway West, while inspecting an adjacent subdivision in July 2007.

  • Holden Beach approves $184,000 more for new Emergency Operations Center

    Tuesday night, Holden Beach Commissioners approved, by a 3-1 vote, spending an additional $184,000 to finish the new Emergency Operations Center.

    The money the previous town board had allocated for the project was just for the shell of the building and did not address paying for furnishings, communications or parking, current commissioners said Tuesday.

    Commissioner Gary Staley, who was also on the previous board, questioned why the on-site wastewater facility tab had gone from $6,000 to $50,000.

  • Town considers amendment to flood damage prevention ordinance

    OCEAN ISLE BEACH—A proposed resolution to Ocean Isle Beach’s flood damage prevention ordinance may make it easier for homeowners to make additions or changes to their homes.

    According to Justin Whiteside, planning director, the current ordinance prohibits homes built after 1972 from constructing additions less than 50 percent of the value of the existing structure without making the addition comply with the current flood elevations. In some cases that could be as much as 7 feet higher than the existing structure.

  • Alderman denies San Rio 'harassment'

    SHALLOTTE—The town alderman who accused developers of the San Rio project of potentially harming the Shallotte River has denied the town “harassed” developers during the development’s planning and approval process.

    Last week, vice president Jim Wiseman of Wakefield Coastal, the developers of the San Rio project, withdrew the company’s petition for annexation and rezoning of a portion of land off Gray Bridge Road after learning alderman John Kinlaw had accused them of creating a potential pollution hazard.

  • Fire set in store

    The Wal-Mart Supercenter in Shallotte was evacuated last Thursday night after a fire was set in the women’s undergarments department, Shallotte Fire Chief Paul Dunwell said.

    The fire was reported at about 5:50 p.m. after customers reported seeing flames from a rack of undergarments shoot in the air as high as 10 feet, detective Eric King of the Shallotte Police Department said.

  • Sunset Beach approves 10-year payback period for sewer

    SUNSET BEACH—Town council last week discussed a payback period for the town’s estimated $33 million sewer project slated to launch next year, with completion by 2011.

    Town attorney Michael Isenberg said, following recent discussion with Brunswick County Attorney Huey Marshall, there is no way it could be done for more than 10 years.

    He said at the Aug. 4 meeting a new act allowing for 30 years “doesn’t apply in our situation.”

    A tax district could be set up in which people pay a separate tax.

  • Beacon, ATMC join to preview football season

    High school football is getting ready to kick off, and The Beacon and ATMC want to make sure everyone is ready for another season.

    Tune in to ATMC Channel 3 next week for ongoing high school football coverage throughout the season. On Wednesday nights, ATMC will broadcast all West Brunswick home football games.

    The Beacon recently teamed up with ATMC to produce a preseason coaches’ show.

    Next week, on ATMC Channel 3, Beacon reporter Caroline Curran tackles all things football with local coaches and players.